Tuesday 5 April 2011

May the WORD Be With You!



I grew up on “Star Trek” black and white, color, it didn’t matter. Just so I got to see Captain Kirk and Dr. Spock and the rest of the Starship Enterprise crew. I guess it is safe to say that STILL I am a die-hard Trekkie!!

Then along came some other great sci-fi movies, but for some reason I didn’t rush to see them or greet them, but as time passed I heard names like OB1 or O Be Wan or O Be One. Be one what? Hmmm. Not sure how to spell that name but an easier one was Luke SkyWalker or Luke Sky Walker, for maybe he had three names like most of us do. (Now it’s Walker Texas Ranger for me.) Hmmm again. Princess Leia or Lay-a. Nothing spectacular about that name, but I did begin to see girls and women with long hair now wearing their hair in pretzeled buns around their heads. I guess they went to “Princess Leia’s Hair Salon”.

Then I saw children with plastic swords that glowed in the dark or that lit up and maybe made a sci- fi “whirring” sound when they swung them, and the children would say something like “I am Darth Vader!” I wondered who is DV? (Do not change the order of those letters please. LOL!) Not long afterwards I learned that Darth Vader was the dark lord of this saga and his voice was played by one of my favorite actors of all time, James Earl Jones! Now what a voice, and he’s the reason why I finally watched “Star Wars” for the first time, several years after its initial release.

I loved the line “may the force be with you!” J Yeah, during those years I was in school and I found myself needing a lot of force from time to time. I never had a sword to swing at anyone though, at least not one that lit up or glowed in the dark. But I had another sword, “invisible” yet more powerful.

The other day I was reading a story about some guys who went fishing. It was their job, their livelihood not a hobby, and they knew that you catch fish best at night. But for some reason, when the sun came up on this particular day, they still hadn’t caught any fish. It was going to be a lean day at the fish market. So they began to clean their equipment and prepare to head on home to get some breakfast and shut-eye, for maybe that night would yield better results.

But all of a sudden a stranger was walking by and some folk were following him. It appeared that he was giving a tour of the area, but then he stopped in front of them and got into one of the boats. He told the owner “push away from the shore please.” Well, you can imagine the thoughts going through his head but instead he kept them to himself, as far as we know, and obeyed. Then this man began teaching the people from the boat and more people came. The owner of the boat thought “oh great. Now I’ll never get home.” “Hmmm, wouldn’t it have been wonderful if we could have caught some fish like this guy seems to have captured these peoples’ attention? Wonder what kind of bait He’s using?”

Well, if you can’t beat ‘em you might as well joy them, so he also began to listen while cleaning his equipment. Then just as suddenly as before, this “tour guide” teacher said to him “hey, throw your nets on the right side of the boat and catch some fish.” But the expert fisherman became a little miffed and said “man we’ve been fishing all night long and there just ain’t no fish biting in this area right now.” But then he saw the look in the man’s eyes, something strange and compelling making him feel kind of funny and he responded, “oh all right, since YOU say so I’ll do it.”

Suddenly (I think that’s about the third or fourth time I’ve used that word in this story. I think it’s important for us to take note.) he yelled to his partners in the other boats to come quickly and help him for his net was breaking! He realized then that he had been naked in the presence of a man who had a Word. A powerful Word. A Word with authority. A captivating Word. A Word to change his job’s situation and outlook. A life-giving and life-changing Word. The man with the Word was inside his boat and . . . and . . . so he bowed down and asked him to leave his presence for he was a man without a word. He was speechless. J

But this Man with the Word had a Word for him, and all his crew too. “Follow Me, and I will make you to be [more than just fishermen working for a pay check] ‘fishers of men.’” (Emphasis mine.) As time went on He said (and I’m narrating as I watched His activities unfold :->) ”I’ll give you a word that will cause the fish to jump into your net! Heck, they will even pay your taxes for you, at My Word. They will multiply from just two and feed 5,000, 4,000, and 7,000 men, women and children – at MY Word.” (The gospel accounts of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John.) Think about this the next time you sit down to a fish fry, or are just enjoying some Long John Silver’s and Cap’n D’s crunchies and fries. (We don’t have those restaurants in France so I’m using my memories as I write this one yall. Send me some please. LOL!!)

He also told them “I will give meaning to your very existence. I will show you how to touch heaven and bring God down to earth to touch and reconnect with His creation. I will give you a Word that will show you your life’s purpose and help you fulfill your destiny. I will show you how to walk with God and perform His works on the earth, with MY Word.” “I AM the Man with the Word and the plan.” (Jeremiah 29:11) “I AM the Alpha and the Omega, the beginning and the end, the first and the last.” (Revelation) “I AM, I was, and I always will be. “In the beginning God . . .” (Genesis 1:1)

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was With God and the Word WAS God.” John 1:1. Hmmm, I just love this verse. In the beginning God had a Word. What is Himself for 400 Alex? LOL!!! In your beginning, for your beginning unto your ending God had and continues to have a Word, - for everyday is a new beginning. As the future becomes the present becomes the past He’s already there; always has been and always will be. And always with a Word. What is His Word today for you, for me? (And don’t forget, everyday becomes Today, and God is the same yesterday, today and forever! Whew, He covered ALL the bases.) He says, “I will never leave you nor forsake you. I will be with you until the ends of the earth.” (Matthew 28J) Sounds like a never ending story of great Words. HE IS THE WORD.

And may the Word be with you!! R2D2 & C3PO over and out. Beam me up Scotty!

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment